Indigenous Researchers

Many Knowledge Holders and Knowledge Makers have come before us. They share wisdom that can help us on our own journey into research. Please look at the quotes below and choose one to reflect on, or share your own quote from an Indigenous Knowledge Holder or Knowledge Maker that inspires you.

1. Here are some quotes from Indigenous Researchers – which one inspires you and why? Or if you have your own Indigenous research quote why does it inspire you?
  • “On the other hand, if one starts from an Indigenous paradigm, then one can choose to use any tool from within that paradigm that may be effective” Wilson, 2008:39
  • “We know what we know from where we stand… …this writing comes from the heart, it comes from who I am and all that I am – nothing more, or less for that matter” Kovach, 2011:7
  • “To illustrate culturally responsive methodologies is to acknowledge the local histories, traditions and Indigenous knowledge systems that inform them” Chilisa, 2011:161
  • “Research is also purposive activity towards community good, rather than merely a good thing to do. It is pragmatic and is not a stand-alone activity, but one that is integral to the ways of life and practice of Pacific communities and influenced by these” Penetito, & Sanga, 2002:25
  • “If we as Indigenous people walk away from and disengage from the academy [it is] at our own peril given that the academy performs a vital societal role of producing the elite knowledge in society” Smith, G. in Kovach, 2011:89
  • Indigenous research “is both in contrast to and complementary with Western research models” Sauni, 2011: 54 

“On the other hand, if one starts from an Indigenous paradigm, then one can choose to use any tool from within that paradigm that may be effective” Wilson, 2008:39

I started my research career through summer internships and assignments given at the university. However, I did not take a research methods course prior to any of the research projects. The little experience I have with research methodologies stems from a statistics course, psychology courses for my minor, public health courses, epidemiology course, and my decolonizing methodologies course. When I hear about anthropologists and scientific research being done in a harmful or ignorant manner I was a little surprised. 

What surprised me is that I grew up knowing that you have to have a relationship with someone before you can ask them for something and you have to be willing to give back and provide support. Growing up I learned to review any work I did with the people who would be effected, because I grew up in a small community where even gossip could cause an imbalance in the harmony of the group. To me it didn’t seem worth it to not do the extra work, because I valued helping others and finding ways I could support the community. 

As I grew up I realized that this was a personality characteristic and also was fostered through growing up with cultural  values my family instilled in me. My family never explicitly said these are our values and this is how we do things. No, my Mom, family, and community showed me through living out those values and I could feel the awkwardness when things were done outside of that value system. 

I plan to take a research methods course eventually, but it is great that I have started out with my values, learning indigenous methodologies prior to learning western methodologies. I won’t have to relearn or rewire my brain to work outside of those mindsets of research methodologies and what is validated and what is not. I do understand that I have to explain to my granters why I do things the way I do them and to cite indigenous researchers and their methodologies. So, I am excited to learn more during the two workshop and to continue my learning through tackling the reading list in the future. I have an ongoing list in my Google drive and I plan to add those list to this ePortfolio.